So I finished the lap quilt. It is a D9P and then I added a border of strip pieces.
I started to free motion quilt it on Saturday with a polyester batting. This batting was left over from the very first quilt I made. (a good brand name, too, just so you know) I tried to quilt that one on the machine and it gave me fits so I ended up tying that first quilt.
But now, I had lots more experience. I was READY to do it. Let me tell you a secret: the batting makes a HUGE difference. I LOVE to quilt Warm and Natural batting into a quilt. It is all cotton and the quilt sandwich stays together with just a little help. (I use a spray basting product that is really inexpensive - don't faint, don't laugh -okay laugh if you want- I use AquaNet hairspray. Hey I never claimed to be traditional or normal. It works for me!)
The polyester batting had the layers sliding all over the place. The backing got wrinkles quilted in it. ARRRRGH. I got in the floor with the seam ripper and nearly went blind, but I got that free motion quilting all out. I had done about a fourth of the quilt so it took a while.
That batting is now reserved to stuff something with or for use in a REALLY SMALL piece. Ugh!
So, I got the Warm and Natural (W&N) and did it up right. Here are the pictures.
Now, the "but well...." part. I used a binding that was pre-made on a roll. It was given to me. I hate to waste anything. I thought "this will work" So I used it. It is a light green with a small floral print on it. I like the color and the pattern. But, well....it feel odd. I don't love it, but I think I will leave it after all