I know you are thinking "Enough! Just show us." Ha ha...so I will
This is my version of the Windmill quilt from Laura Wasilowski's book "Fanciful Stitches- Colorful Quilts." By the way, you get the ebook version of this FREE as part of the class Hand Stitched Collage Quilts on Craftsy. It still needs backed and bound in some manner. I may also go in and add some machine quilting since I am now in love with Free Motion Quilting.
When I showed another art quilt, I was contacted by my friend and
So let me tell you about the fabrics in this piece:
- The sky fabric came from my stash and I honestly don't know where it came from.
- The roof of the lighthouse is one of Vicki's gradient pieces -I forced myself to cut this right out of the middle of it. (it didn't hurt nearly as bad as I thought it would)
- The walls of the lighthouse (orange) are from another gradient. Yes, I cut into that one too!
- The ground is still another gradient. (can you tell how much I love these gradients? you get so much variety in one piece!) (the door came from that piece too.)
- The windows in the light house came from the same gradient as the orange walls.
- The tulip blooms and the leaves are from a couple of shibori hand dyes.
- The wonderful visual texture in the windmill blades come from a shibori also.
Here are some other pictures:
|notice the lovely color variations in both the windows and the roof!|
|A great leaf Shibori|
|Detail of Blooms and Leaves|
|A great tulip Shibori (also good for other flowers!)|
I used several colors of Auriful wool in the hand stitching on the leaves, the windows and the round "thing" in the center of the windmill blades. It was perfect to add a different texture to the piece.
Aren't those fabrics wonderful? Don't you wish you had some to put in a project? I know you do.
If you would like to win your choice of one shibori fabric from Vicki's shop PLUS a Mistyfuse Goddess pressing sheet (and let me tell you - these are GREAT for use in fusing!) then you want to play along here.
|Goddess Sheet - a slick sheer teflon coated fiberglass pressing sheet for fusing fabric!|
Go to Vicki's Shop in the Shibori section -come back here and tell me which piece is your favorite and why.
Enter soon! I will close entries on July 19th (midnight central time) and draw a winner soon after that. I may not reply to all comments on this post if it gets a lot of response simply due to time limitations.
Here are some other links to Vicki's blog and newsletter. I love looking at Vicki's blog for inspiration
Vicki's blog http://vickiwelsh.typepad.com/
Vicki's Newletter http://vickiwelsh.
As an added bonus, Vicki is offering a special to my blog readers!
"Coupon code: GENESHIP for free shipping on US domestic orders over $40. International buyers can enter the code in the comments and Vicki will refund $5.00 on their order. Coupon expires July 21"
Thanks for enduring this looooonnnnng post. I hope you enjoyed the pictures. good luck in the drawing! Be sure we can contact you if you should win.
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.