Tuesday, January 31, 2017

More Dyeing

After reading some articles on dye painted yarns for weaving,  I was curious about trying it myself.  So, prodded by Abby, my muse ,  I wound two skeins of weaving yarns to dye.  Yesterday, I acquired a wallpaper tray to use for dyeing.  The wound skeins were soaked along with part of a white sheet in a soda ash solution. It stayed in the soak for quite a while.
 The excess was drained off then dyes were mixed.  I poured on the dyes in what should be a palindrome. The colors are Cobalt Blue, Grape, Chinese Red and Deep Orange.
Not a great picture but it gives you an idea. 
You can see the plastic wrap on the left side of the photo.  That is to cover it and keep the moistue from evaporating.  The dye only works if it is kept wet.
There is also the fabric hiding under there to get the excess dye and add to my hand dyed fabric stash. Somehow, I managed to mix an abundance of the purple so I put some of the extra in a tub and added a folded and bound bundle of fabric to that.
Those are rubber bands to keep it bound and act as an extra resist.  
Tomorrow afternoon all of this will be rinsed and washed out. With the first rinse, the colors and patterns start to show and I will see if this dye session is a success.   
The work part was "easy" the waiting part is much more difficult for me. 

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in posts may be affiliate links for which I am compensated if you click through and purchase.


A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOVE the colors!! I followed the link to the "palindrome" post - and was fascinated by the whole process. I can see why you love "weaving" so much - and "dyeing" - they are both very wonderfully creative - ;))

Barbara said...

Beautiful results! I also love the colors, but I would make a royal mess trying to do this. I'm glad others enjoy doing it. ;) I'm looking forward to seeing these bundles opened up and finished.

Jeanna said...

The colors look nice so far. The process sounds interesting.