Thursday, June 15, 2017

Dyeing Results

Confession - I was disappointed when washing out the dye from my last batch.  Going in, I was aware that my dye solution was "older" and may have lost strength. But once it was on the fabrics, it appeared bright and lovely. It showed great promise.
The fact is that powdered dye that is premixed with water loses some effectiveness the longer it sits.  To help counter that fact I decided to let the batch set for a full 24 hours - in vain it appears.
This bright piece
became this:
The red and fuschia faded to barely pink and the violet is entirely missing.

Here are the others

They are all useable as they are.  However, none are what I expected or hoped for.
For my next dye batch, I will be mixing up fresh dye concentrate that I will use up in one batch!

The "ugly" fabric that I was over-dyeing needs more pigment. So the next batch will hopefully make it useable.
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in posts may be affiliate links for which I am compensated if you click through and purchase.


Rhonda said...

I see these pieces as sky fabrics!!

Vicki W said...

I learned that lesson the hard way too!

Debbie said...

Wow, didn't know that but the outcomes are usable.

Marlene said...

It's unfortunate that it wasn't what you were hoping for, but it is still very beautiful!