Monday, August 10, 2020

T-Shirt Dyeing Results

The T-shirts that I dyed came out nicely.   The best part is that now I can wear them without looking stained or discolored.  I love it when I can renew and reuse something that would otherwise be thrown out.

First up the T-shirt that had a food stain that wouldn't come out. For this one I used the Razzle Dazzle dye (a mixed color) by itself and had the shirt scrunched tightly so that there would be some resisted areas.
The dye completely hid the food stain and the resisted areas still show the original blue. Plus since the logo is a heat-set design, it still shows nicely. I really love this one.

Next up is the discolored white shirt that was folded for resist areas.  This one didn't resist that  well.  You will see why later.
There are some color variations but it is not a strong design.

Next up is another discolored shirt that I dyed with a mix of chinese red dye and turquoise dye.  This was a bit of a surprise.
What happened?  This was a learning experience for me.  Plus, it explains why the turquoise shirt doesn't have a strong design.  Even though the dyes were well mixed, they separated (split) in the dyeing process.  The turquoise apparently will slip through the resist more than the red dye.  Where the red and turquoise are mixed I got a lovely warm violet hue.  But the resisted areas dyed with the turquoise that penetrated the resist.    This is one of those "happy accidents" that you get when you just let go and see what happens.   The good part is that now I know this about using the turquoise dye and I can plan for it.  The better part is that this shirt is one that I will enjoy wearing now.

While neither of the bottom two folded resists worked as planned, I like them both.  I may do some over-dyeing on the turquoise one. But I will probably wear it a few times first.

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

7 comments:

Barbara said...

Great results, especially first and third. I’m seeing a lot of eyes!

Frog Quilter said...

Great to find a way to continue using stained shirts. Good idea.

Debbie said...

Surprise, surprise! You never really know how things will act or react. I think there is a life lesson in this somewhere. Love the top shirt, it really turned out great. I also like the middle one...which didn't resist as well. Just showed its own mind, I say:)

Shasta Matova said...

That's a good idea to try dyeing shirts that are stained. A great way to get more use out of it.

Quilting Gail said...

Now you have 3 "new" t-shirts to wear!
Nice!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Those turned out GREAT! - I love the idea of dyeing something purple to hide stains - and the combination of Chinese red and turquoise - ;))

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I really like the purple shirt.